The Waterloo Gate Bridge (1849)
Built in 1849, The Waterloo Gate Bridge, Sydney was unlike any other bridge design of its type in Australia. Architect Johnstone Smith captured the essence of bridge architecture at the time.
Fountain Creek Bridge is a limestone arch bridge completed in 1849 which crosses Fountain Creek near Waterloo in Monroe County, Illinois, USA. The bridge was constructed in 1849 and served as a road bridge until the 1920s, when Illinois Route 156 opened on a new bridge. During the nineteenth century, stone arch bridges were commonly built in regions with stone quarries, such as Monroe County; roughly 100 stone bridges were built in the county. The Fountain Creek Bridge is the largest remaining stone arch bridge in the county and the second-largest which was only used by road traffic in the state.
The bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 22, 1978.
Many asked why it took so long for the Waterloo Gate Bridge to be commissioned when its construction brought with it a huge amour of trade hours closer to the city. The long route that traders had to trek prior to it being built.
Paul’s Bridge is another stone bridge built in 1849 carrying the Neponset Valley Parkway over theNeponset River between Milton and southern Boston, Massachusetts. It was built in 1849 by Thomas Hollis, Jr., of Milton, but was later reconstructed using the original materials. It replaced the earlier Hubbard’s Bridge (built prior to 1759), and a subsequent Paul’s Bridge (so named at its 1807 reconstruction). Its current span is approximately 88 feet (27 m). The name “Paul” can be attributed to Samuel Paul, the owner of the adjacent land on the Readville (now Boston) side, which was part of Dedham at the time of the bridge’s construction.
The 1849 bridge was 81 feet (25 m) long and 22 feet (6.7 m) wide, and was constructed of unmortared Quincy granite. Each round arch measures 20 feet (6.1 m) at the springline. The area between the arches is uncoursed rubblestone, and the arches are formed out of cut granite voussoirs. The bridge underwent a major rebuilding between 1932-1935 under the leadership of Arthur A. Shurcliff, FASLA and founder of the AIP, who made it a priority to widen the bridge. Most of the original stone was reused and solid stone parapets replaced the wooden siderails. Instead of a rubblestone finish between the arches on the extended side, it is finished in coursed stone.
The Swiftwater Covered Bridge is a historic covered bridge which carries Valley Road over the Wild Ammonoosuc River in Bath, New Hampshire. The bridge, the fourth on the site, was built in 1849, and is a locally distinctive single-span Paddleford truss design, with laminated arches and steel beam reinforcements added in the 20th century. The bridge has an overall length of 173’8″ and two clear spans of 77’6″ and 57’6″. The roadbed is 14’6″ wide, with a vertical clearance of 12’9″. It rests on lightly-mortared split granite abutments topped with concrete footings. The roof is made of corrugated metal, and the sides are sheathed in vertical planking to a height of eight feet. The bridge is said to have survived the use of explosives to clear logjams in the area.
The bridge was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
The Sea Cliff Bridge is a balanced cantilever bridge located in the northern Illawarra region of New South Wales Australia.
The Sea Cliff Bridge is a balanced cantilever bridge located in the northern Illawarra region of New South Wales, Australia. The $52 million bridge links the coastal villages of Coalcliff and Clifton. Featuring two lanes of traffic, a cycleway and a walkway, the Sea Cliff Bridge boasts spectacular views and is a feature of the scenic Lawrence Hargrave Drive.
The Sea Cliff Bridge replaced a section of Lawrence Hargrave Drive that was permanently closed in August 2003 due to regular rock falls. A public outcry emerged over the road closure as Lawrence Hargrave Drive is the only road directly linking Coalcliff, Stanwell Park, Otford and Helensburgh to the northern suburbs of Wollongong. The bridge was officially opened by NSW Premier Morris Iemma at a ‘ribbon cutting’ ceremony on 11 December 2005, and has met with great public approval and increased business for the area’s tourism industry.
The Sea Cliff Bridge was named by 11-year-old schoolgirl Makenzie Russell (St. Brigids) following a naming competition opened to local primary school students.
It is a popular location for Love padlocks and the annual Sydney City Tour car rally.
The Sea Cliff Bridge is one of only seven off-shore parallel to coast bridges in the world.
Sydney Bridge History
Sydney Harbour is world-renowned for its beauty and its famous Sydney Harbour Bridge. This is just one of seven magnificent bridges that complete the loop around the harbour. Every bridge has an interesting history behind it.
Sydney Harbour Bridge
The Sydney Harbour Bridge is one of Australia’s best known and photographed landmarks. It is the world’s largest (but not the longest) steel arch bridge with the top of the bridge standing 134 metres above the harbour.
Fondly known by locals as the “Coat-hanger”, the Sydney Harbour Bridge celebrated its 80th birthday in 2012, with its official opening in March 1932.
The Sydney Harbour Bridge construction started in 1924 and took 1400 men eight years to build at a cost of £42 million. Six million hand driven rivets and 53,000 tonnes of steel were used in its construction. It now carries eight traffic lanes and two rail lines, one in each direction. But at the time of construction the two eastern lanes were tram tracks. They were converted to road traffic when Sydney closed down its tram system in the 1950s.
For insights on the best time to visit Sydney and view the array of historic bridges in the region, talk to specialist Sydney tour guide ‘Your Sydney Guide’. For more information on their guided tours of Sydney and regions visit their website here: http://www.yoursydneyguide.com.au
Pyrmont Bridge stands at the entrance to Darling Harbour, regularly opening its central steel swingspan to allow leisure and commercial craft to pass into Cockle Bay.
This, the second Pyrmont Bridge, opened to traffic in 1902, using electric power from Ultimo Powerhouse at a time when Sydney’s streets weren’t yet lit by electricity.
The bridge was designed by Percy Allan of the NSW Government’s Public Works Department after an international competition failed to find a winner. Percy designed 583 bridges during his career and the timber truss system used on Pyrmont Bridge became known worldwide as the ‘Allan Truss’. Also working on the project was J.J. Bradfield, who later designed Sydney Harbour Bridge, and Gordon Edgell who went on to open Australia’s first cannery at Bathurst.
With the introduction of container shipping, the southern end of Cockle Bay was no longer commercially viable and the area gradually fell into decline. Freight services were moved and the railway goods yards closed in 1984.
In the same year, the Darling Harbour Authority was formed and commissioned to redevelop the area as a leisure, entertainment and commercial venue, giving part of the harbour back to the people of Sydney.
The new Darling Harbour opened in 1988, with Pyrmont Bridge’s swingspan restored to full working order and a new addition, the Monorail, running above.
The ANZAC Bridge spanning Johnstons Bay is one of Sydney’s outstanding landmarks. Opened in December 1995, at a cost of $170 million, it provides a key link between Sydney City and the suburbs to the west. Via the City West Link and Victoria Rd it is the major east west route to the M4 toll way at Concord and the Homebush Bay Olympic 2000 site.
The bridge has a main span of 345m, a total length of over 800m with the two towers supporting the 128 cables 120m high. It is the longest cable-stayed span bridge in Australia and amongst the longest concrete cable-stayed span bridges in the world.
This new bridge replaced the old Glebe Island bridge and initially adopted that name.
On the 80th anniversary of Armistice Day, the 11th November 1998, the premier of NSW, Bob Carr, renamed the bridge as the ANZAC Bridge as a memorial to members from both sides of the Tasman who formed the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps – the ANZACs. Flags were placed on the tower tops, an Australian flag on the eastern tower and a New Zealand flag on the western tower.
The original bridge was constructed of wrought iron lattice girders and opened in 1882 after four years of construction. The area was sparsely populated in the 1880s and the opening of the new bridge not only helped accessibility, it provided a new western route to Sydney via Balmain.
A decision to replace the original bridge was made in 1939 just prior to the outbreak of World War II. Design work began in 1942 and construction commenced in 1947. The bridge was officially opened by Hon. J.J. Cahill, MLA, Premier and Colonial Treasurer of NSW on the 30th July, 1955.
The bridge is comprised of aesthetically distinctive piers and abutments which reflect the Inter-War Art Deco style. Furthermore it was the last steel truss bridge to be constructed in NSW in which rivets were used for field connections prior to the introduction of high strength bolts.
The duplication of the Iron Cove Bridge was completed on 30 January 2011. It is designed to improve bus and car travel times along one of Sydney’s busiest roads. The new pedestrian and cycle way on the western side of the bridge also provides wonderful views across the water to Rodd Point.
Gladesville Bridge is an arch bridge that spans the Parramatta River, west of central Sydney, Australia. It is a few kilometres upstream of the more famous Sydney Harbour Bridge. At the time of its completion in 1964, Gladesville Bridge was the longest single span concrete arch ever constructed. Gladesville Bridge is the largest of a complex of three bridges, including Fig Tree Bridge and Tarban Creek Bridge, designed to carry a never built North West Freeway
The current bridge replaced the original Gladesville Bridge, which was completed in 1881. The old Gladesville Bridge was constructed as part of a spate of bridge building that took place during the 1880s, which also saw the construction of the Iron Cove Bridge, Glebe Island Bridge and Pyrmont Bridge. Before these bridges were built, people and goods had to cross the Parramatta River on punts or ferry services, a situation that local residents had been complaining about since the 1860s.
The 1881 Gladesville Bridge was about 300 metres to the west of the modern bridge. It featured a swing section on the southern end of the bridge that could be opened to permit sailing ships and steamers with high funnels to pass. It stood on iron cylinders with a sandstone pier at each end of the bridge. The sandstone piers are all that remain today of the original bridge.
The 1964 bridge was planned and commenced as traffic demands were rising steadily in the 1950s. There were also several occasions during the 1960s when the old bridge could no longer be re-closed, having expanded when open due to extreme heat conditions. Construction on the new bridge started in 1959, and took six years to complete. It was opened to traffic on October 2, 1964.
Tarban Creek Bridge is an arch bridge that spans Tarban Creek, west of central Sydney, Australia. It is located between Gladesville Bridge and Fig Tree Bridge, being immediately to the north of Gladesville Bridge. The bridge carries Burns Bay Road and a footpath and connects the suburb of Hunters Hill to Huntleys Point.
Fig Tree Bridge is a girder bridge that spans the Lane Cove River, west of central Sydney, Australia. It is immediately to the north of Tarban Creek Bridge and the more well known Gladesville Bridge. The bridge carries Burns Bay Road and a footpath and connects the suburb of Hunters Hill to Linley Point.
This bridge replaces a bridge originally built on this site in the late nineteenth century along with the original Gladesville Bridge and Iron Cove Bridge. The earlier Fig Tree Bridge was a couple of metres to the west. The southern abutment still exists, although it is quite overgrown.
The current Fig Tree Bridge was built in conjunction with the Tarban Creek and Gladesville Bridges as part of the planned north-western expressway linking the city with the Sydney-Newcastle Freeway. The expressway was cancelled, but the freeway grade road from the eastern end of the Gladesville Bridge, over Tarban Creek and ending at the northern end of Fig Tree Bridge hints at what was planned.